Saturday, April 7, 2012

Different

Glorious Saturday. The day before 60 Minutes comes on and all hell breaks loose... at least where I'm from. My personal favorite Saturdays are the ones about this time of the year where the air is clear, a bit crisp, and the breeze is soft and gentle in the mid afternoon.

One of my very favorite things to do is make myself a glass of iced tea (plain, unsweet), open a window, and watch my cat Eva try and figure out how to chase down the birds and the bunnies outside. Although, she's never technically really even been outside the patio.
Eva on the patio

There's something to watching a cat in action. Originally, I posted on my Facebook my personal philosophy that cats are nearly free entertainment. For you non-cat folk out there reading this, I can appreciate why you don't like them. They just aren't dogs. I pose that you just haven't met the right cat yet. They're quite like people. Some cats get along with others well. Some cat-ly personalities just don't.

The wonder of watching a cat laze on a Saturday is that there is always something to watch, even if nothing is going on. Like the scene between Nick Nolte and Scott Mechlowicz in the movie Peaceful Warrior, where Mechlowicz's character, Dan, says (in essence) there's nothing going on. Nolte's mentor character then mysteriously slows down time and allows Dan to see that there's really all sorts of amazing things going on. 

Same goes for cat-watching. A twitch of the tail. An arc of an eyelash. A ear rotated to hear the sound of an approaching... well, if I can hear it, it must be something important. When you know the personality of the cat as well as I do, you begin to recognize patterns. Smugness. Aloof impersonations. Flat-out abandon and genuine play. The nuances are nuanced, the patterns varied and strange.

Come on over, I'll make you a slightly sweet peach iced tea, and let's chat and cat-watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment