Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Genuine

The first book I downloaded from the Amazon Kindle lending library  this week was The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. (Kindle = best gift I ever received. Thanks, Barb!).

Have you seen the Last Lecture video? I mean, really seen it? Not just watched the clips? Whether or not you agree or disagree with the content (Another post for another day...) you gotta admit this Randy guy is seriously, honestly, frankly one of the most genuine people you've ever seen on video.

He shows up and is who he is. And now reading the book, his philosophy of showing up just as he is is even more clear to me. He's arrogant. He's egotistical. He's smart. He's funny. He's sarcastic and witty. He's probably one of those smart a$$3s who drove me crazy in high school calculus class 'cause I just didn't get it.

But he's authentically, genuinely... him.

Three separate conversations in the last three weeks were about showing up genuinely in business. Two were with women who are, for lack of easier explanation, trying to act like men in their respective businesses. I know all about this feeling. I get it a lot.

 Now, this is NOT a discussion on whether men or women are better at sales... I'm just saying that sometimes I feel like the only way to succeed in business is by showing up as a hard hitting, strong closing sales MAN. Some days I feel like I have to show up as the used car salesman to be able to progress at all at work. I have to put on my pantsuit (not the cute one, either...) and wrap my hair tightly in a bun at the nape of my neck to disguise the fact that I'm of the fairer sex.

This is just so not me. I'd rather show up in Birkenstocks and blue jeans than a suit or... God forbid... pantyhose. I'm uncomfortable strong-arming someone into a sale they aren't comfortable with. But some days I think this is how I must be to get to what I want. And the same for these two ladies. They compare their successes to other people in their industries and think they have to change themselves into something they're not in order to "make it big."

How about a different kind of comparison? How about comparing ourselves to our genuine selves?


Surprisingly, is the more in-touch I am with who I genuinely, authentically am, the better I do. The more relaxed and confident I am in me being me, Birkenstocks and all, the more I find customers who are looking for just that. And weirdly, the more uptight I get about having to change myself to fit the mold and pretend to be someone else, the more I try and squeeze my thighs into the control top pantyhose, the more I push away people who would have otherwise been great clients.

If a customer wants the experience of the strong-armed sales guy, this just simply ain't the one for you. Pass 'em to your competitor. On the other hand, there are customers out there looking for you... the authentic, genuine you. (This is the person who wants that caring and that nurturing relationship that only you can provide, to my two lady readers). 

Seems backward I know. But look at Randy. Arrogant, egotistical and all. He showed up genuinely...exactly as he was... and had massive success for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment