Monday, April 9, 2012

Failure

Failure IS an option.

Failure is inevitable.

I don't like it, but I'm probably better for it.


The event I started, coordinated a team for, ran, and promoted for shut down this week. My intentions were good. Create something new and different. Get people excited and motivated. All of us work together and win together.

Yeah, not what happened.

It was a slow speed train wreck at best. You know the kind.
It's going just OK, and when you crash no one gets hurt but everyone is relieved to get off the train. Enough friction to notice there's friction. (At least the food was good).

So what did I learn?

A whole lot of practical stuff. Leadership skill. Team building. Delegating. All the John C Maxwell tricks I'd read about but never had a chance to apply. (I love his book, "Failing Forward"). How to show up in conflict and still get things done. How to come from my heart in trying to help someone improve and give constructive evaluations of a job not-so-well done.

On the emotional side, I learned how better to deal with failure. Failure is not the end of the world. It is simply releasing a negative outcome to make space for a new, positive one. It's change on a faster timeline than maybe we wanted. Sometimes, that's a good thing. Sometimes, it hurts our egos.

It is said, when you're failing, you're growing. I must be growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment